Friday, January 8, 2010

Stop Wasting Time!

I love this post from one of my favorite finance gurus, Ramit Sethi. It's about how to be a freelancer. More importantly, it's about how to be a good freelancer.

He was on a call with a client giving advice on freelancing and he asked two simple quetions:
  1. What's your goal?
  2. What are you doing to hit that goal?

Then he dropped this bombshell on her. Not the craziest thing I've ever heard but sometimes you need to hear someone tell you something obvious. 
"In my experience," I told her, "freelancers try to do 50 things, and they end up doing a 5% job on each of them."
You can read the rest of the article here. Basically it hit really home for me since I've spent the past couple of weeks working on building up my own freelancer business. And I've been putting off blog posting and updating my business cards for some reason. Procrastination? Probably. A little tiny part of me thinks my ghetto fabulous business cards (I stickered over old business cards) is pretty ingenious and frugal of me. But I really do need to lay out all the things that I want to spend time doing to work on my business and do that type of analysis to see if I really do need business cards and blog posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment