Thursday, December 3, 2009

Encouragers

For a graduation gift, I got this awesome little book from my friend Sara called Rules Of The Red Rubber Ball. It's one of those inspirational, find your way through life books that you are supposed to get people who've just graduated. I love those type of things, anything to inspire people to follow their dream. Another friend, Annie, recommended that I read a similar type of book, The Alchemist, when I was thinking about making the job shift to skin therapist. The Alchemist is a much more alegorical, fictional tale about a boy struggling to find his way in the world, while the Red Rubber Ball book is a simple non-fiction book about a man who found his way in life. Both books have the same message about finding your true place in the world, commiting to it, believing in in.

My favorite part of the Red Rubber Ball book is the second rule, "Seek Out Encouragers".  The author states, "Sustaining your life's work cannot be done alone and you must build relationships with people who have a geniune interest in you and appreciate your commitment to your red rubber ball... most importantly, they give you the courage to act." I've had several moments in the past couple of months filled with encouragers, people who loved the direction I was going in, but more importantly, helped me keep on going on the path that I was thinking about taking.

If you are struggling with anything in your life, job, friends, passion, anything at all, it's crucial to surround yourself with these encouragers. List them out and maybe take the time to thank them for their unending support. You could even write them a letter as a special way to show how much their encouragement has meant to you. I know, letters are so 18th century. But that's what makes them so special! Can you imagine the look on your encouragers face when they get something in the mail, instead of something through email, text, status update, tweet or blog?

No comments:

Post a Comment