Monday, November 23, 2009

Something sweet from James

I remember the day in February pretty clearly. James was coloring my hair, trying to fix what some other stylists color had done to my base color. He was talking about his new salon, Matthew Ray Salon, and what it was like to be an owner. He sounded so happy and excited about the possibilities of life outside of the corporate world. So I decided to confide in him. Don't we always to our hairdressers? But James was different. He worked with me at a corporate job that wouldn't be too happy with what I was about to confide in James.

"I'm thinking about leaving my job. You know I haven't been happy since the acquisition. Okay forget that. Miserable is more like it. So I'm looking for other jobs. One of the things I'm thinking about doing is getting my esthetics license."

James looked surprised but in one quick second he shot out "That sounds cool. How about you come work here at the salon? We've even got a room for you."

We continued to talk about my dreams, about how I'm writing a novel and working in the corporate world wasn't very emotionally supportive to my writing. James told me a story about how as a hairdresser, he typically works multiple jobs, behind the chair, on set, at photoshoots, writing articles, educating. Working behind the chair is all about multi-tasking and finding time for jobs that you love. It was his positive attitude and excitement about his multi-faceted career that ultimately convinced me that I could be a skin therapist and a writer at the same time.

I decided to go to school in July. After a few short months, I was a senior and I invited James to come check me out. He was brave enough to get his eyebrows waxed and then a facial. The main reason I went to school was for waxing, but James gave me some nice compliments on my facial technique, enough that he's convinced me to pursue jobs that allow me to give facials and also wax clients. He even posted those sweet words on his blog for all the world to see! 

I'm about to graduate on Wednesday with a Certificate in Skin Therapy. In a couple of weeks I'll take my State Board exam, pass (knock on wood, I don't want to jink it) and then start working my career as a Skin Therapist. I checked out that room at his salon that he mentioned back in February this past Sunday and it still looks like an awesome place for facials and waxing.

2 comments:

  1. I totally can still remember you telling me about it! Look how it all worked out. Aren't you thrilled? You do such good work and you seem so much happier now. I think you have million dollar hands!

    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome,Ilana-
    I have to agree, James and Matthew have a way of inspiring everyone they come in contact with. I know they're excited for you to join the team. I cant wait til you can work on me! Everyone at Matthew Ray Salon are 'magical' in their own way, as I'm confident you are also.
    -Elsa Davis, Stylist

    ReplyDelete