Saturday, July 30, 2011

Beauty Relief™

I'm talking with a client the other day about the products to use on her face and what her skin care routine should look like. After I tell her to only wash her skin once a day, she looks at me with relief on her face. "Only once a day?" she asked. "Yeah, most people don't need to wash twice a day because it can over dry your skin," I said. I started to talk more about why she didn't need to wash her face too much, but she stopped me. "Oh I'm so relieved that you said that. I've always thought there was something wrong with washing your face only once a day."


It's such a funny moment when you experience what I'm going to call Beauty Relief (™ BBI). Every girl knows what I'm talking about. It's that moment when someone who you go to for beauty advice (older sister, best friend, gay best friend) tells you something that you think is right, but you have been afraid to do it because everyone (marketers and media) has told you otherwise.


For me, the strongest moment of Beauty Relief™ I ever remember experiencing was at a class on Bobbi Brown foundations. The educator said something about how you really don't have to put a full face of foundation on most people. The majority of people have redness and discoloration under their eyes, around their nose and on their chin. So put the foundation there and call it a day. For some reason I had always been taught you have to do it all, put it every. But I never really loved covering myself in foundation. Even the light mineral foundations, I always wanted to just put them on the red spots on my face. I don't know what kept me from doing that. It's silly looking back on it. I'm sure that most people who experience Beauty Relief™ also have a similar experience of "DUH! Of course I didn't have to do xzy."


My latest two Beauty Relief™ moments are all about eyeshadow. I read an article on Lauren Conrad's beauty website (no idea how I got there of all places and even though I know I shouldn't I kinda like it) that said that for simple make-up that guys like, try just a bold liner and mascara. Which I love because I have an ongoing battle with eye shadow creasing. I know about lid primer, I just can't be bothered for my every day look. And then Michelle Phan posted a video on crafting the perfect look for summer. Where she talks about tinted lid primer. OMG. Where have you been all my life tinted lid primer?


Take a look at the video below for more tips on Summer Make-up from Michelle: 

No comments:

Post a Comment