Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Glitter nation

I'm a total sucker for glitter. Must be that I've never completely grown out of my little girl phase.
As far as trends go, it seems like glitter is definitely bigger this year than last. Although I don't think I'll be over glitter for a very long time since it's a cheap and fun way to add a little sparkle to your life. And who doesn't love sparkle?

Glitter brands:
1. Best cheap glitter: Sally Beauty Supply has the most awesome cheap glitter in most colors of the rainbow, all for $1. Fair warning this stuff is really hard to get off. Also if it gets in your eyes, it can be irritating, so if you have sensitive eyes, skip the SBS glitter and go for the good stuff
2. Best high end glitter: For loose glitter that I'm going to put near my eyes, I like going to Naimie's and getting their recommendations. They have a wider selection of glitter colors than you can get through Sally's and the glitter is finer, so it is less irritating. http://www.naimies.com/

Here are my favorite uses for glitter in beauty:
1. Eyelid: this is my go-to look when I want to do something different with my eyes and I don't feel like doing a lot of work. Some black liquid liner, a cream base (I use NYX Eyeshadow base), any glitter that matches my outfit or mood (usually light blue), mascara and I'm good to go. This look really makes your eyes stand out. Plus everyone seems to be amused by glitter. 

2. Eyeliner: this is fun, but it's a little too much for work and not enough for going out to a club. I use this if I'm feeling super ambition when I got out with friends to dinner, if I need a little extra sparkle. I'll dip a specially designated glitter liner brush (I like cheap angled eye liner brushes for glitter) in Glitter Glue (Ben Nye makes a great Glitter Glue) and then dip it into my best glitter.

3. Tattoos: These are a fun way to add sparkle to your body. All you need is body glue (which is the same glue nail techs use to glue on fake nails), stencils and cosmetic glitter (you could get away with using the cheap stuff from Sally's on your body). You can get the stencils from Glimmer Tattoo. If you are a cheerleader or going to a Ke$ha concert, you can free-hand it on your face as well. Just make sure that you keep your glitter brushes separate from your real make-up brushes, because glitter tends to get everywhere and render the brush useless for anything other than glitter.

4. Nails: I never thought about it until I watched this tutorial, but you can totally glitter up your favorite nail polish with the Sally's Glitter. In the tutorial, the girl mixes clear with glitter on a piece of paper and then applies the mixture to the nail tip to give a glittery twist to the french manicure. I love it! Sally's also has cute $1 glitter nail polishes that are fun because as they chip, they slowly disappear. So you get get that tattered look on your nails as quickly as you do if you go with traditional nail polish.



I'll post pictures of my glitter adventures next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment