Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Ombre

Its hard to think up new services. There are only so many things that can be done with hair, skin, nails and makeup. But that doesn't mean that everyone out there isn't trying. We would regularly try to brainstorm service ideas when I worked for a hair care manufacturer. The best we could come up with at the time was Baliage, which is french for painted on highlights.

I've been seeing this trend of Ombre for the past six months and I'm kind of lovin' it. http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/08/13/drew-barrymore-and-julia-roberts-demonstrate-ombre-hair-2-0-which-is-way-more-wearable-than-1-0/

See to most people it just looks like crappy grown out roots. Which is a style that I rock all the time since I'm lazy about getting my hair done. It's just so much work. No seriously, I'm usually too antsy to get my hair colored and cut all in one session. And I'm way too impatient to get highlights. I know highlights change a lot of peoples lives, but I've never liked them on my hair. I was relieved once to talk with my hairdresser educator pal Annie who said that you should match your highlights to your texture. I.E. if you have a ton of texture (crazy curly hair) skip the highlights, but if you have pin straight hair, you can use highlights to create the illusion of texture. Since I more often then not where my hair curly, Annie's revelation was such a relief to me.

I experimented with a block of color around my face/bangs last year that I liked but it was ultimately too much  upkeep. I've slowly worked my way back to a solid block of color. Then I started noticed the Ombre thang, which looked like something I could do. Dark roots that gradually get lighter to the ends. Right now I'm kinda rockin' the opposite because I've been experimenting too much with hair color (and my hair tends to pick up a lot of hair color very easily). But next time I go to the salon, I'm going to get a little more bold and lighten up the ends. Its just hair right? And if it looks disastrous I can color it back or cut it off. That's my favorite part about hair color. It's so kinda-but-not-really-permanent!

1 comment: