Saturday, August 6, 2011

Cosmetically Elegant

Cosmetically Elegant. The first time I heard that term was in a skin care seminar for Skin Medica. They were talking about how many women don't use Retin A from the doctor because the consistency is not that great. So true! Everyone I know has a half-used tube of RetinA that they've tried to use in their product closet. You can't throw it out because it is so expensive! But I never used it because it smelled so bad. RetinA is the Catch22 of beauty products.

SkinMedica and other skin care lines put Retinol (a derivative of Retin A) in lotions that smell pretty and feel good going on. That simple step allows for much greater patient compliance. I know it's true for me. As soon as I got Retinol in a night cream that didn't smell like dirty feet, I used it all up!

Which got me thinking about other things that have to be cosmetically elegant in order for me to use them. Apple products are the first ones that came to my mind. Sure I use a PC all day, and I'm not a snob so if anyone has an extra PC lying around, I'll take it. But I love sitting down and using my Macbook and my (just died last week) iMac. The whole user experience is so smooth. That's why Steve Jobs is an evil genius. He makes products that are significantly nicer to use than other computer manufacturers and then charges a premium for that. Damn him!

No comments:

Post a Comment